Weekly digest Oct 21st 2017

This week has seen further activities with both the University and the Toton Local Plan consultation. We have also held a further meeting with the DIO (Defence Infrastructure Organisations), the MoD organisation selling the Barracks.

  1. University project update:
    • This week the graduates have been preparing for Monday’s community consultation taking place at Toton Tesco between 10 -5. Our RCAN consultants provided valuable insights to the group as they put together their questionnaires
    • We’d like to see lots of people to come along & take part in this exercise. The more involvement and input, the greater the impact/validity of the results.
      So please do all you can to visit the store on Monday and take part.
    • Most questions will be short and sweet to avoid delaying you too long, although if you can spare longer (up to an hour?), that will be great as it will allow detailed questions to be asked and in-depth feedback gathered
    • Whilst I’m talking about these in-depth questionnaires, I’d like to say ‘thank you’ to those members who got in touch following last week’s request for volunteers. 13 people offered to take part and 8 were able to attend the interviews held yesterday (Friday) following on from the 5 Steering Group members interviewed earlier in the week. All enjoyed taking part and said it was an interesting exercise.
  2. Local Plan road show reaches Toton:
    • We are now on the home straight with these consultations. Last Wednesday was another miserable, drizzly evening so it was good to see around 15 people come along to have a chat and share with us their views and concerns.
    • Not surprisingly, a lot of the views related to traffic congestion we experience on Stapleford Lane day after day. But we also captured thoughtful comments about possible housing designs & the wildlife corridors we’d like to see on the Toton Lane site. All comments have been collated & added to the growing list here on the website.
    • Our final consultation is back at the Village Hotel on Monday 30th. So if you haven’t been able to make one of the previous events, there is still time to let us know your thoughts. Steffan Saunders (Head of Planning at Broxtowe Council) will be attending to answer queries and we hope to have a draft response prepared for review before formally submitting it to the council later in the week.
  3. DIO meeting:
    • We held our 2nd meeting with the DIO and their Nott’m based consultants JLL Ltd during the week. This followed on from our first meeting back in early July.
    • It is fair to say we were disappointed with the outcome. There was confusion on their side with the DIO and JLL having different expectations from the meeting. One side expected feedback from us concerning documents which the other side had explicitly told us to keep confidential.
    • For our part, we highlighted the ongoing struggle to obtain access to the Barracks to enable us (& the university) to get a better understanding of the layout and consider potential future development
    • Some forthright views were exchanged between us with the upshot being that access has now been agreed for a site visit for us & the university. It was acknowledged we need to improve communications between us so we expect a follow-up meeting in the next few weeks.
    • In the meantime, we know the DIO will submit a response to the Local Plan relating to Chetwynd Barracks; we intend to closely examine their proposals.
  4. And finally…….
    • To incorporate or not to incorporate, that is the question…
      • A small subgroup of the Steering Group (including Ben, our legal counsellor) met with a Forum member experienced in governance to discuss options relating to incorporation. You will recall from previous editions that we have been mulling over the need to incorporate. We think it lends greater credibility & legitimacy when it comes to dealing with some organisations (such as the DIO) as well as increase options when it comes to fundraising.
      • We discussed options of becoming a charity, or a CIC (Community Interest Company), or just a standard Limited Company. There are pros and cons to each. We will summarise our thoughts and formally discuss it at our next full Steering Group. Should that meeting decide incorporation is the best option then we will submit a recommendation at our AGM for members to vote on.
    • An approach from HS2 Ltd
      • We received an invitation during the week from HS2 Ltd to meet with their Engagement and Stakeholder Manager for Notts and Derbys
      • Our previous contacts with HS2 have been via their ‘Growth Partnership’ company, so we welcome the opportunity to establish and develop a direct relationship with the parent organisation. We hope to set something up in the next couple of weeks and plan to start off with a tour of the site.
Posted in Latest News | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Next Local Plan consultation in Toton this Weds

Posted in Latest News, Past Events | Tagged | Leave a comment

Weekly digest Oct 14th 2017

Another week, another update – although this week we have less ‘new’ items to report. But since our work with the University continues and our Local Plan consultations are half completed, both of those activities have taken up most our time.

  1. University project update:
    • Work continues at the University and last week Norman Lewis (a member of our Steering Group & very experienced ecologist) gave a talk to the graduates about the geology/ecology of our Area to help them understand the constraints imposed by the topography such as flash flooding.
    • Gill Morral (a local historian) then followed with a history of Toton and the western part of Chilwell – with particular focus on the story of ‘The Depot’.
    • Next week we are helping the group plan their community consultation event currently scheduled for Mon 30th Oct.
      More on this next week but in the meantime the University has requested some help….
  2. …. Volunteers wanted please!
    • A group of students want to conduct a small number of in-depth surveys to help them gather opinions & ideas. These surveys take approx. an hour to complete and are separate to the more general event on the 30th
    • They are looking to interview approx 12-15 residents in total in the next two weeks. Members of the Steering Group are taking part in this exercise but…
    • ….we still need another 6-8 volunteers! Are you willing to help? Can you spare about an hour to conduct this survey?
      As the students say: “no need to bring anything other than your knowledge of the area and an open/interested mind”.
    • If you are willing to help please let me know at: heal00@gmail.com and I’ll coordinate the times and place – which will be local to Toton, possibly in a coffee shop.
  3. Local Plan consultations continues
    • We held our 2nd consultation event last Weds in Chilwell. Unfortunately the rain bucketed down during the 1st part of the evening, but when it eased off we were glad to welcome a small group of residents who came and provided their views & thoughts.
    • We were very pleased Cllr Graham Harvey attended and it was good to get his views and insights on the issues facing local residents in Inham Nook.
    • Comments from the evening were captured including a very interesting idea to provide some 4G football pitches. Ideas such as this are always welcome.
    • You can view all the comments collated so far on our website here.
      Next week’s event is on Weds 18th – between 6pm and 9pm – at Toton Methodist Church on Stapleford Lane. Please come along and have a chat.
  4. And finally…… (this is starting to sound like an old TV sketch!)
    • A warm welcome to new readers of these digests!
      We have captured details of new members over the last 2 weeks as well as gathering details from local businesses and people who work in the Area. If anyone wants to have a look at previous weeks’ digests please go to our website where you can find the complete history.
    • Some interesting numbers relating to our members and friends:
      • 570 people in total have registered with us since we started last year
      • 530 are members i.e. they live or work in our Area and will therefore be asked to vote on our Plan when it is produced
      • 487 separate email addresses who receive these weekly updates.
        [Where we have 2 members using the same email address e.g. a spouse or partner, we only send one email.]
      • 35 members who don’t have access to online updates – we provide quarterly hard copy newsletters to these members.

We are always looking for more members, especially in the business community, as well as ‘friends’ living outside our Area but who are interested in our work. Please help us grow by telling your neighbours & friends about the Forum and steer them to our website (details below) where they can register with us. The more who join us, the more views and thoughts we can incorporate in the final version of our Plan. Many thanks!

 

Posted in Latest News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Further comments on the Local Plan Part 2

These are the updated comments and questions asked at our first two Part 2 Local Plan consultation  events. We’ve had a reasonable turnout at both evenings (it was an awful night on the 11th which, understandably, kept people away) to find our more about the Local Plan and HS2 Growth Strategy.

Continue reading

Posted in Latest News | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

2nd Local Plan Part 2 consultation on Weds 11th

Our 2nd consultation on the Local Plan is this Weds at Chilwell Community Centre. Come along and have your say! Continue reading

Posted in Latest News, Past Events | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Weekly digest Oct 7th 2017

Another month has flown by and the Forum workload continues to build up. You will have received an interim digest during the week concerning the launch of the HS2 Growth strategy. We don’t intend to overload your inbox with Forum matters, but it was important for you to receive the new strategy ‘hot off the press’ as it does provide fresh thinking for the Toton Lane area.  Continue reading

Posted in Latest News, Toton Lane West | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Local Plan consultation feedback: Oct 4th Village Hotel

These are the comments and questions asked at our first Part 2 Local Plan consultation  event. We had around 15-20 people dropping in during the evening to find our more about the Local Plan and HS2 Growth Strategy.

Feel free to come along to our future consultations: find out more about our next one here on our Events page.

  • Disabled representation:
    both Forum Steering Group and Local Plan need to incorporate views on how better to address the needs of disabled communities
  • More Doctors surgeries
  • Keep Chetwynd road (Chilwell side) closed
  • Keep Hobgoblin wood
  • Keep trees on the west side of Barracks – from the quarry upwards
  • Chetwynd Barracks to be treated as one entity and not split up into separate development plots
  • All large trees on the Barracks to be the subject of tree preservation orders
  • Keep local homes for locals (affordable homes) and not sold on to ‘outsiders’
  • All housing should have solar panels + rain water harvesting systems built-in
  • Chetwynd Road – make it a cycle & pedestrian route only?
  • Chetwynd Road – Open up to traffic ?
  • Tottle Brook – Open up ? (not sure where this is –  anyone know? Graham)
  • Good broadband internet connections needed
  • Electric charging points for electric cars?
  • Schools 3-18 ?? What’s the impact on existing LEA Primary schools?
  • Traffic congestion now is bad
  • Traffic disruption during development works must be minimised
  • Self build plots?
  • Roof gardens?
  • Keep extending allotment provision
Posted in Latest News | Leave a comment

HS2 Strategy Board Vision

Today has seen the launch of the HS2 Strategy board vision for the HS2 hub and surrounding area.

The Forum has been discussing certain key aspects of this for some time in identifying key issues around Transportation links, green corridors, dwelling densities and Education provision and on an outline level these issues have been addressed somewhat within this vision document.

The forum was invited to attend today’s launch and is now in a position to directly influence another of the key stakeholders within our community. The launch will be a focus of BBC East Midlands today and also Central news East Midlands tonight so please take a look at this and the attached document.

While this plan is an outline vision it does go into some detail and it will be our responsibility now (the whole community) to engage with all stakeholders to shape the proposals submitted to date including the Local Plan Pt2 and ensure our voice is heard and in many years to come we have a landscape that we are both comfortable with and that delivers the needs and wants of us all living and working within it.

HS2 Growth Strategy 29 Sept 2017

 

Posted in Bardills, HS2 Hub Station, Latest News, Toton Lane East, Toton Lane West | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

1st Local Plan Part 2 consultation event

Come along to our first consultation on the Local Plan:

Continue reading

Posted in Latest News | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Digest #9 30th Sep 2017

Back to a Saturday (just) posting of this week’s digest following the one sent out last Monday. It’s been another active week for us on the Steering Group organising Local Plan consultation events as well as engaging with Nottingham University graduate students who have now started their project to help us. So, without further delay…. Continue reading

Posted in Latest News | Tagged , , | Leave a comment