The area we live in (Toton & Chilwell Meadows and Chilwell West) is going to be transformed over the next few years due to:
- The sale of the 182-acre site of Chetwynd Barracks in about 2021;
- The development of the HS2 East Midlands Hub station on Toton Sidings due to start in the mid 2020’s; and
- Broxtowe County Council’s allocation of over 1,000 dwellings to be built in our area in the next 10 years.
The Community that lives in the area needs to be at the heart of this transformation. If we don’t do this, we will have no say in the future developments and residents and businesses will not benefit from the opportunities these initiatives will bring.
The Toton and Chilwell Neighbourhood Forum is voluntary community group set up in 2017 to act as the voice of the community through a Neighbourhood Plan. The Forum is led by a Steering Group and has over 780 registered members. The Forum’s objectives are:
- To promote, protect and improve the social, economic and environmental wellbeing of our area and thus have a positive impact of the quality of life of all residents.
- To enable members and residents to discuss local issues and to represent residents’ views in decisions affecting our area.
- To encourage the involvement of the wider community in the preparation, production and implementation of our Neighbourhood Plan.
Producing a Plan that truly reflects the desires and aspirations of the community at large, covering such diverse topics as green spaces, community facilities, building designs, population change, etc. is a significant and complex task.
To address this task, the Forum has established a number of Sub-Groups reporting to the Steering Group to draft elements of the Neighbourhood Plan covering topics which include:
- Highways and Transport;
- Local Transport;
- Local Services (including education, leisure & sport, libraries);
- Business & Employment;
- Utilities & Waste Disposal;
There is a wealth of experience and knowledge in our community and we want to encourage as many people as possible to be involved and contribute. We have established a community office where residents can look at latest maps and ideas and provide ongoing input and we will publish our reports on the website as they develop. We run a number of regular activities inc. specific workshops targeted to key elements we need to cover.